Tuesday, April 25, 2017

A Word About ARCs


Please do not sell or purchase these from booksellers.  If you are lucky enough to have a printed Advanced Reader’s Copy sent to you from the publisher, please don’t abuse this privilege by selling it. I understand why many of the publishers are relying on electronic ARCs as the print is costly and often winds up on some bookseller’s shelf.  I personally prefer the printed ARCs.  I tend to get more into the story with a printed volume than the electronic one. I prefer a bound book and will take breaks reading on my reader.  I realize many bloggers, authors and librarians get a lot of printed ARCs.  I know we did at the library.  We used them for prizes, reading programs, and reviews. When I was working with teens, we used them for our book club.  Often we use them as incentives to get kids reading. I get upset when I see booksellers selling these on Abebooks and other sites.  Please don’t purchase them.  If you don’t want to keep the copy, give it to a neighbor, a local library (they don’t add them to the collection) or a local shelter. Shelters can always use books. Be sure to advise them that the book is not to be sold.  If push comes to shove, recycle it. Perhaps it will become another ARC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment