Tuesday, January 30, 2018

All Things Bright and Strange
by James Markert

Michael Ellsworth Newberry, wonder boy of Bellhaven, South Carolina.  His life is peppered with stories of his multiple life survivals, but he is fed up with his life.  As he tastes the metal of the gun against his mouth life steps in again.  The loss of his wife, his leg in WWI and his dreams of playing professional baseball have worn him down.  However, the discovery of a mysterious chapel beyond the boundary of the painted trees will put him on another path.  Things are changing in Bellhaven and the quiet little town is about to have its citizens questioning their neighbors, their friends and themselves as to what is right and what is wrong.

I believe this is one of those books that you either hate or you love.  It has been listed as ‘Christian Fiction’ and I must disagree.  There is a lot of faith woven within this story.  However, there are many faiths and races within the city limits of Bellhaven which make it an unusual town of its time and all get along, but that is why it is vulnerable.  At one point, I was worried it was headed down Stephen King lane.  Luckily, it turned before it got to that point.  It is not bogged down with gratuitous sex or gory violence.  Notice I said, no ‘gory’ violence.  There is violence.  A story about a battle between good and evil cannot be told without violence.  The redeeming quality in this book for me were the characters, not the storyline.  I liked the citizens of Bellhaven. Even those that cross the line.  There are some truly nasty characters within this story that are not easily liked but unfortunately, there are many still like them today.  As the saying goes, leopards don’t change their spots.  Overall, it’s a good story and though I wasn’t thrilled with the ending, I understand it.   I really liked the dedication of the book.  Nice one, Mr. Markert. 

I wish to thank #NetGalley and the publisher for generously providing an Advanced Readers Copy for my honest review.

PUB:  Harper Collins/Thomas Nelson
PUB DATE:  January 30, 2018
ISBN:  9780718090289


Genre:  Historical/Supernatural Fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment