Saturday, April 28, 2018


Chief Inspector Gamache Series
by Louise Penny
Audio Version

I don’t often choose books that deal with contemporary issues.  I’m not a ‘ripped from the headlines’ reader.  If I wanted to read about those issues, I would read them in the newspaper.  I’m finding, however, if I get vested in the characters and the author doesn’t dwell too heavily on the dark themes, I can get involved in the books.  If the author creates characters that are relatable and I can connect with them, I will stick with them.  I don’t like a main protagonist that is darker than the story its self.  Don’t give me a divorced, alcoholic, drug dazed protagonist. 

I hesitantly began the Chief Inspector Gamache novels by Louise Penny.  The stories often take place or involve the residents of the small, hidden community of Three Pines located an hour outside Montreal.  If I could, I would move to this fictional community.  I would love to sit in front of the fire at the Bistro and have Gabri or Olivier bring me a cocktail while I read a book I picked up at Myrna’s used bookstore. To overhear the conversation at the next table between Ruth and Clara and try not laugh out loud when Ruth loudly renders her opinion. 

Then we have the Chief Inspector of the Suerté-du-Quebec himself, Armand Gamache.  Calm, steady and quick with the wit, he is a rock to his team.  His second in command, Jean-Guy (pronounced Sean-Gee) Beauvoir who is quick to emotion but would follow Armand into the fire if necessary.  Also key to these novels are Armand’s wife, Reine-Marie (pronounced Ren-Marie), and their adult children.  Throughout there are other characters that you will follow through the natural progression of rising through the ranks at the Suerté-du-Quebec.

Ralph Cosham has been the primary narrator of the audios of this series.  He brings Gamache’s calm presence and dry wit to the surface. Each character is given a distinctive personality and you have no problem with conversations between them.  This talent has allowed me to become vested in the characters.  The added plus is an authentic pronunciation of the French names of people and places. 

In an interview, Penny stated she didn’t see her series as cozy mysteries.  Granted, cozy mysteries, as a rule, don’t have so much meat within their pages.  I have to agree and disagree with her.  The cozy mysteries I read and continue to the next installment are ones that I’m reading because of the author and the characters.  Her themes are gritty and deal with nasty people but I continue to read them because I feel as if I am catching up with old friends. 

Penny is one of those authors who is not afraid to throw her characters into the fray.  After completing one such novel, I had to call a friend who had read the books and scream and rant for a quarter of an hour just to get over the ending of that one.  There have been scenes that drew me to tears.  Not because of a terrible scene but because it was so sweet. 

Pick up a couple or better yet, listen to the audios.   I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Books Published by Minotaur
Audios Produced by Macmillan Audio

1.   Still Life (2005)
2.  Dead Cold aka A Fatal Grace (2006)
3.  The Crueliest Month (2007)
4.  The Murder Stone aka A Rule Against Murder (2008)
5.  The Brutal Telling (2009)
6.  Bury Your Dead (2010)
7.  A Trick of the Light (2011)
8.  The Beautiful Mystery (2012)
9.  How the Light Gets In (2013)
10. The Long Way Home (2014)
11.  The Nature of the Beast (2015)
12.  A Great Reckoning (2016)
13.  Glass Houses (2017)
14.  Kingdom of the Blind (2018)



No comments:

Post a Comment