Friday, October 13, 2017

Death Overdue
A Haunted Library Mystery
by Allison Brook

It’s time to move on.  Carrie didn’t work her way through library school so she could shelve books.  Besides, she didn’t want to wear out her welcome, staying with her aunt and uncle.  Perhaps coming home to Clover Ridge was a mistake.  When she is offered the head of programs and events she decides to take a chance and remain.  She feels a warm connection from her first program speaker, retired homicide detective Al Buckley, who is there to speak about a local cold case he was working on.  Before his talk can get off the ground, Al collapses and dies. Carrie is devastated and vows to figure out what happened. Little did she know assistance would come from a former librarian. 

This first installment in a new cozy series is peppered with a realistic look into small town politics and library melodrama. Brook’s details of the overall function and maintaining a harmonious work place within a library is spot on and adds to the storyline.  The characters are authentically portrayed including the changes Carrie makes for her new position.  Though I do see her reverting to her former self in future installments, if just for a short period. The characters are fun, devious, and loving. I don’t know if I enjoyed this so much because I felt comfortable within the pages of this book or it was just a good read.  My own experience, working in a library, was very different from Carrie’s and I was blessed to be a part of a staff that managed to work together nicely.  One thing I do know, I am looking forward to the next installment eagerly.

I wish to thank the publisher for generously providing an Advanced Reader’s Copy through NetGalley for my honest review.

ISBN:  9781683313861
Pub: Crooked Lane Books
Pub Date: October 10, 2017


Genre:  Cozy Mystery/Slight Paranormal Twist

No comments:

Post a Comment