Tuesday, August 29, 2017

“Why are you reading that?”
Part II

I have not read much YA lately. The latest trend seems to be realistic fiction.  These are great books and are very important for teens. However, I will admit that realistic fiction is not a big draw for me.  Working with teens is the best experience.  They will come to you with happy stories and events in their lives and you will hear horror stories.  The sad reality of working with teens is you are part psychologist.  You become a good listener and try to put the right book in the hands of someone who can use it and take something away that answers questions.  Today’s social media give a portal into the horror that many teens face and some eagerly dish out.  Many of the titles released in today’s market deal with these issues.  I am a wimp.  Reading and hearing about these scenes every day wear me out.  I no longer get any pleasure reading books that deal with these issues.  They are so important though and necessary for those that need ways to deal with these daily situations and have nowhere to turn to find the answers.  Too many adults are hesitant to address the hard to face realities of life to a teen, especially their own child.  Of course, teens are so open to discussing these awkward topics that come up in life, aren’t they? 

I believe some of the most entertaining and exciting novels are in the Young Adult area.  Authors who write for teens are not afraid to think outside the box.  Teens are more willing to accept the unconventional, as we witnessed with Meyer’s vampires.  It was refreshing and liberating and allowed many authors to create their own scenarios that are not part of the norm. 

The mystery genre is much the same as in adult.  It deals with realistic scenarios.  Jealousy, envy, greed, all play a big part in teen mysteries.  Kidnappings, drugs, and the loss of love figure heavily in these thrillers. Another big theme is the popular ‘fear of failure.’  You will find this theme carries over into adult thrillers.  Both can be graphic and gruesome.  It is this thread of brutality that keeps me from enjoying any contemporary thrillers.  For me personally, I see and hear so much of this theme in the daily thread on Facebook, nightly newsfeed, and in the newspaper.  ‘Man’s inhumanity to man’ is not a relaxing, comfy, nor entertaining theme I wish to spend my final years reading. 

That is why I read what I do.


Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment